The 2016 Publish conference heard from a host of top figures in the publishing world, including international keynote speaker Keith Hernandez, who shared the story of Slate as the world's first mainstream online magazine, celebrating 20 years.
The sold out event, held at Royal Randwick Racecourse in Sydney, also heard from journalist Sarah Wilson on how she transformed her blog I Quit Sugar into a global publishing phenomenon. The Australian's CEO Nicholas Gray also shared the rebalancing of The Australian as a multiplatform brand.
The one-day conference explored key publishing strategies, including:
- How Fairfax and Mumbrella developed their event divisions
- Sales strategies for geting your masthead in front of busy agencies
- How to reach your readers by email
- How to deal with the rise of Facebook Instant Articles and Apple News
- Subscription strategies for marketing your paywall
- How to commercialise podcasts
- Strategies for building a native offering
- How to shift from a print to a digital culture
- How to monetise audiences the Google way